North Devon hotel owner fined £40,000 
The owners of a hotel in North Devon who admitted health and safety breaches after it caught fire have been fined £40,000 and told to pay £10,000 costs. 
More than 50 guests fled from the Tantons Hotel in Bideford after the fire was started deliberately in a room on the top floor in May 2011. Three guests and one member of staff had to be rescued from the roof. Chescombe Limited, which was sentenced at Exeter Crown Court, admitted five fire safety breaches previously. 
Sixty firefighters and 11 fire engines were called to tackle the blaze after it broke out at about 04:00 BST on 31 May after an arson attack by a guest. 
The fire was so intense it burned through floors and ceilings. 
The unconnected safety breaches were discovered during an investigation. Prosecuting on behalf of Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, Nigel Wraith told the court that the hotel's fire alarm did not work properly and there were not enough smoke detectors. Oil for cooking and the hotel's lift was stored in an emergency exit area 
He added that some fire doors were so sub-standard they did not prevent a fire spreading, and one emergency exit door was so stiff that it took one man three or four shoulder barges to open it. 
Photographs taken by investigators also showed cans of cooking oil and oil for the hotel's lift stored in an emergency exit area, and some smoke detectors having been taped up. 
Copyright © 2017 Firewatch South West Ltd 
Group Head Office, 1 Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ12 4PB 
tel: 0800 783 4171 fax: 01626 363172 
email: info@firewatchsouthwest.co.uk 
Produced by SpotOn - 01803 407407